Sunday, October 14, 2007

PSA: Number 52: CLOSE the GATE!


(Before any of you get your panties in a bunch, the dog is home safe and sound.) Having said that, why is it that I am wasting my breath telling small boys not to do something??
I don't think my neighbor has time to read my blog this week, she is in the process of transferring the ownership of her childhood home to new folks. She's a bit busy right now. She left her beautiful Husky in my care. Would you care to hazard a guess as to what Huskies do when the gate is left open? Yep. Gone. Like a shot! I had just said to Thing 1 and Thing 2 and Thing 1's friend, "Do not go back and forth through the gate. The dog will get out." I closed the back door and poof, gate open, dog gone.
Fortunately, we have two adults home this afternoon. I jumped in the car with a leash and some cheese. (Bribery gets you every where. Rule #1 for parenting- works for dogs as well!) I found her around the corner and bribed her in to the car. Crisis #2 of the day averted. The first crisis?
8:15 this morning. I am peacefully laying in bed and I hear horrendous dog yelping. I jump up and run downstairs. Tasha (the husky) was in the back yard, foot stuck in small pear tree. She tried to get into the tree to get a pear. She bit me when I tried to free her foot. I broke the branch and she pulled her foot out herself. She is, once again, just fine. What a fine way to start the day. Not.
The 3rd incident of the day did not involve the dog. I am folding laundry in the laundry room next to the garage. I can hear small boys yelling and plastic breaking. Not a good combo. I go out in to the front yard and find them hitting the child sized jeep that goes 7 miles an hour with a baseball bat. A baseball bat? They have broken off the mirrors and the lights on the jeep. So, what do you think? Should I sell the jeep? They are really too big for it now any way. Is that too harsh? Good consequence? Should I ground them as well? No computer? Growl.

No comments: