I've been reading, as usual. A funny for you from Tim McGraw, interviewed by Time Magazine in the October 23, 2006 issue.
Question: "So what are your tips for a successful marraige?"
Answer: "I live in a house with four women. Just shut up and say "yes, ma'am."
Methinks Tim McGraw is a smart man.
I came across an article from USA Today (Oct 9) about business leaders discouraging churches from locating in their downtown core areas. It seems that the Kenly, N.C. Council members want businesses that attract people throughout the week, not just on Sundays. The council is also concerned with their tax base, as churches don't pay property taxes.
I understand these concerns, but I don't agree with these councilmen. If a church is reaching out to the community, the building should be used throughout the week. Lots of healthy churches have after school programs, exercise groups, women's craft groups, education nights, and food pantries. It is often hard to find an empty room in the church to hold a gathering. People coming to the church frequent the businesses around it, and the downtown core grows. The eyes and ears of the congregation act as a deterrent for crime. The church often takes great pride in their property, planting gardens and cleaning up trash. I think this would be good for a neighborhood as well.
That's my two cents for today. (1 3/4 cents Canadian!) I'll try to post tomorrow and Tuesday and then its off to the hospital for me. My DH will be the guest host here while I am down for the count. You'll probably get brief updates. I am trying to convince him to post about his experience with toilets in China. It is truly too funny.
Sunday, October 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I don't agree either for what it's worth.
Our one "mainstream" downtown church is very involved in community social issues (which probably doesn't make many points with the businessmen).
I say good for them.
Still wish you the best.
Post a Comment