Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Summer Recipe and a quote.......for you

I read constantly. Magazines, newspapers, books, pamphlets, blogs, websites......... all the time. I come across snippets of things. Quotes that need to be saved for future scrapbook pages or pondering. Then I lose them. I try to write them down in a notebook or mark the book or go back later and find them. I often fail. Perhaps you might benefit from them as well. (and I can find them later)

So here is one from Oprah magazine. From an author called Marie Howe. (p 173 of Aug 2008 issue) The story is about her friend, Jason. He is dying. He went to walk on the beach in Provincetown, with his friend Lucy, perhaps for the last time. She mentioned to him, "We will always remember this day." He replies, "I am remembering it now." What do you have today that you need to "remember it now"?

Last night we enjoyed sausages from our local butcher. My DH told me what they were. In German. Not sure what they were in English, but yum-O! I also made our favorite summer pasta salad. A recipe from Mr. Food Cooks Like Mama.

 

Italian Pasta Salad

1 1/2 C dry pasta

1 C tomatoes (whatever is in season, chopped)

2 T fresh, chopped basil

1 t salt

1/4 t pepper

1 C mayo (have you tried the Hellman's olive oil mayo? awesome for salads and cakes)

2 T red wine vinegar

2 crushed cloves of garlic

1 small can sliced black olives

 

Cook pasta to taste. While it is cooking, put mayo, garlic, salt, pepper, vinegar and basil in to a large batter bowl and toss with a mix and scraper. (you can take the girl from the Pampered Chef, but you can't take the PC out of the girl!--on vacation right now, back to work on Monday) Add cooked pasta, tomatoes, and olives. Refrigerate to mingle. Mmmmmmmmmm!

 

I'm off to rock babies at church. We donated our glider rocker last week. I had a hard time parting with it. I figure I can visit it. I can rock someone else's baby in it. I can smell that baby's head and then give him/her back to mama. I can still sleep all night. I don't have to change diapers or buckle carseats!

No comments: