Tuesday, April 14, 2009

365:101---Laundry Soap!

This photo is from April 12. I will post the 12 of 12 soon, waiting on digital elements from Pam over at Digitreats. She's had a rough few weeks, so I'm cuttin' her some slack. (love you Pam!) P1100023

Why is it that I am showing you a photo of a bucket full of white goop? Otherwise, most of you wouldn't know what it is! This is home made laundry detergent. It is amazing stuff. Environmentally friendly, cleans with amazing simplicity and cheap. (just my style) The recipe is below, I got it from a friend on my scrapbook board, but their are many variations available.

1 C washing soda (not baking soda)

1 bar laundry soap (I used Sunlight, but Fels Naptha is a popular brand)

4 C water

3 Additional gallons of water

1. Using the Pampered Chef cheese grater, grate the soap into a saucepan and add 4 cups of water. Bring it to a simmer, melting the soap. Do not boil!

2. While it is simmering, fill a large bucket with 3 gallons of water.

3. add the soap mixture and 1 C of washing soda

4. Stir and cover with a lid or foil, let sit overnight.

I put a smaller amount into a plastic coffee can. To use, I shake it up and measure out about 3/4 of a cup to put into the washer. Add water and then the clothes. Keep the bucket sealed up when not in use for safety purposes, especially if you have small kids. Buckets full of liquid are drowning hazards. 

3 comments:

merideth said...

very interesting! what exactly is washing soda? i see it on "how clean is your house?" but have never seen it (i live in kansas, usa)

Christy said...

Look at your WalMart. Some hardware stores carry it as well. It is in the aisle with the detergents. Comes in a powder, large box. :)

Ellay said...

Thank so much for posting this!! I have been trying to find washing soda for almost a year!! I don't shop at Walmart, but I'll have to try the hardware store!! Would LOOOOOVE to make my own detergent! You rock!