Organization for mommies---level 101. My friend Julie (also known as Crazy Aunt Julie in our house) keeps telling me that I should write a book about keeping the average parent organized. I'm not sure I have enough information for a book, but here is a short post for you.
1. Color code your kids: I considered tattooing my kids with their assigned color, but had 2nd thoughts as I've told them they can't have a tattoo until they turn 18. Max's things are red and Aaron's are blue. This way they don't fight over who has the red cup. (it's Max's) I can also tell which kid left their towel on the floor. (it's blue- Aaron gets the 25 cent fine)
2. Buy all of the same socks for each kid. Each child has socks that are white. Max's have a red stripe on the toe and Aaron's have a blue stripe. If they render them into 3 cornered rents (holes), I can pitch the offending sock. There are 14 more just like it in the drawer. No more mating socks or digging for 2 that are the same color. They all match, throw them in the drawer. Each kid has 1 pair of black socks for formal occasions. (i.e. weddings where they have to dress. Our church is so informal that anything dressier than sandals and jeans leaves you overdressed!)
3. Breaking the rules results in fines. Monetary ones. If I pick up your toys, I am gonna charge you. If you leave a toy in our room, you might get it back. Then again, you might not. Our room is a TFZ. (toy free zone)

4. Go to Wal-Mart and buy yourself at least 4 of these. If you have 3 kids, buy 6. Most kids have issues with food that touches. Problem solved. This also makes it easier to serve them dips for veggies or applesauce. They can scoop without having a bowl. Less washing of dishes for you. (notice the broccoli remaining on the plate. Bailey has just finished with this and even he doesn't eat broccoli!)
5. When you buy underwear, buy some white and some navy or some other dark color. That way, when you do the laundry, you can wash undies with every load. No more running a white load just because someone needs underwear.
6. Every day, swish and swipe those bathrooms. Thanks to the flylady for this one. Under each sink in my house? A bottle of all purpose, all natural, nothing to make you feel sick type of cleaner. I buy it in bulk and dilute it to save on packaging. I also keep a rag under each sink. Each day, I grab the bottle and quickly spritz and wipe down the top of the sink and the toilet. As necessary with boys, I also get the floor in front of the toilet. Not only does this keep the bathroom from getting too nasty, if your neighbor shows up and uses the kid's bathroom, she won't recoil in horror and wonder what the hell you do all day. (I have an internet girlfriend who makes her boys sit down, I kid you not- even her husband sits) In each bathrooom, I also keep a toilet brush- the kind with the cleaner in the handle. You can swish each toilet while you are at it.
So, that's my small amount of mommy wisdom for you today. It is 8:05 p.m. now and my house is blessedly quiet. I did figure out yesterday that Aaron starts school the day after my next 4 day, run away like a bat out of hell scrapbook retreat. I'm glad I switched him from Tuesday/Thursday to Monday/Wednesday. Otherwise, he would have started on Friday. While I was gone. I've had some other parents ask why I switched him. I didn't dare tell them that the Tues/Thurs option threatened my scrapbook schedule!


1 comment:
I bow down to your organizational wisdom. I don't know if I could ever accomplish it, but you've got some great ideas!
Post a Comment