Saturday, September 30, 2006

Two evils of life: late and traffic

Late and traffic. Two of the things in life that drive me a bit batty. Unfortunately, late is a fact of life when you have children. Sometimes, we are late because I underestimated the time that it takes for small boys to stop what they are doing, put on shoes, and get in the car. I forget to allow them time to finish that game or look at the bug on the floor as they get distracted from putting on their shoes. Sometimes, we are late because I get distracted by the phone ringing or more likely, by the computer. I have to read one more blog or check on one more e-mail. We are often late because I underestimate the time needed to get from one place to another place. This leads us to the other evil: traffic.

Traffic is a fact of life in a large metropolitan area. I prefer this kind of traffic to the "farmer on the tractor" traffic we had in Illinois. I was telling a friend of mine about this tonight. When we go to church, leaving at 9:30 for a 10:00 service- we take the interstate. (do you call it that here?- we have provinces not states) We take the QEW. In the US, you have Martin Luther King everything- MLK. Up here you have Queen Elizabeth everything - QEW. At 9:30 on a Sunday morning- it is smooth sailing. By the time we are ready to go home, it is 11:45. We return home by driving up a major street in town, with lots of stop lights because the QEW is now slowed down by lots of traffic. The 600 people that I just worshipped with? Those folks that were singing and praising God with me? They are now in my way. Between me and home. Growl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer this kind of traffic to the "farmer on the tractor" traffic we had in Illinois.
~ Christy ~ I'd actually prefer the farmer on the tractor...have you forgotten that you can pass the farmer on the tractor? the traffic we get to endure daily generally has no passing capabilities and way too many stoplights! Traffic is a daily headache for me, sometimes the 2 lane road with only me and a tractor to pass on my way home sounds good :)

Amy said...

LMBO Christy you have a way with words!! So so true!!!