Sigh. I'm having issues again. (I know my DH is reading this and wondering, "When does she not have issues?"- but that is another post altogether- maybe later in the week.) Once again I am having trouble getting my life pulled together. I know, this is not rocket science. If I can teach 27 first graders that range from not being able to turn a page in a book to reading at 8th grade level all at one time while simultaneously keeping my reputation for being a teacher who runs a tight ship, I can do this mom thing. (How is that for a sentence for you? My english teachers would be appalled!) Of course, I did all that when I was in my 20's. Now, I am almost, gasp, in my 40's.
So, I know that there are many of you that have this figured out. No problem. If you do, please try to teach the rest of us how to do this! In an ideal world, my kids would get to school on time, in clean clothes with nutritious lunches in their backpacks. They wouldn't watch TV during the week and the family dog would not smell like he's been rolling in God knows what in the back yard containing the lawn that is now a week past being mowed.I would have milk in my fridge and fruit in the fruit bowl. My kids might actually eat said fruit. My bathrooms would be clean, my laundry would be caught up. The recycling would not be overflowing the bins because I forgot to take it out last Tuesday. My pantry would be stocked, my car would have gas in it. I'd exercise and eat correctly and go out on a date every week with my husband who is in town. My kids would not be past due for hair cuts and teeth cleaning. For that matter, the library books would not be past due either.
This is where I am this week. I spent last week correcting a few of these issues. Next week, I'll tackle a few more. I know I can only tackle one new habit each week. Otherwise, I feel like crawling under a rock. Preferably a rock in Mexico, with Juan the pool boy at my beck and call. Sometimes, I think the mom job is somewhat like the movie, Groundhog Day. It seems to be a never-ending saga of the same thing, every day. In fact, sometimes life feels like this, no matter what your occupation. This is when it is time to stop and regroup. To take a look at why you do what you do. To realize that your kids benefit from your skills as a mom. To be aware that your extremely successful and talented husband deserves to have a support person that can support him and help him be successful. To realize that there is more to life than laundry and clean floors. To understand that the world is here to support you, not to bring you down. To see the fall leaves and take time to scrapbook the joys of your life. This is when I gain perspective. When I slow down, get off of the roller coaster and enjoy.
What are you enjoying today? Where are you in your life? I hope you are with me. I like to have company for the ride. It makes things much more pleasant.

