
Ever hear a song on the radio and get yourself transported back to some other place and time? I was driving across town this morning to pick up the kidlets and Hotel California came on the radio. You know how you can tell which song it is by the opening notes? The first few notes of the guitar lick came on and I cranked it up.(as much as you can crank music in a 10 year old Saturn station wagon named Jenna) This song is special because I was dancing with Craig, listening to "the trio" (Wescott, Epperson and Davis out of Mattoon) play this when he asked me to marry him. Hence, this was the first song played at our wedding reception for us to dance to. I just love the Eagles!
(Now, if you are my father and you are reading this, please stop reading and wish me a good night. The following information is not for the eyes of Parental Units. So, stop reading Dad, really.)
Speaking of Wescott, Epperson and Davis. Man, do I miss those days. This is a band out of the Mattoon/Charleston, IL area. They are no longer together and I miss them. I miss trailing along to out of town bars and drinking myself into a stupor on a regular basis. I miss covers of Jimmy Buffett, The Eagles, The Doobie Brothers, Alabama, John Prine, James Taylor, Supertramp, and many others. I miss singing along and knowing all the words to Brown Eyed Girl and Wasted Away in Margaritaville. I miss Rob's incredible guitar playing and the camaraderie between the guys. I miss the days of tequila hangovers without small children demanding breakfast at "oh my God, it's dark-thirty". I miss not being able to find a pizza to be delivered in Mattoon at 3:00 a.m. on New Year's Day. I miss tomato bread and broccoli/rice with Cheese Whiz on Karen's couch at 4 in the morning. I miss those days when I was not a responsible mother and executive's wife. I want to be.... wasted away again in Margaritaville.


6 comments:
You're not the only one missing them and do you know that I just found my Westcot, Epperson and Co. t-shirt and wore it to the gym last week (it was lost in my closet for the longest time)....and what do you think was playing on my mp3 player? Ok, it wasn't Hotel California, it was "Yesterday" by the Beatles, tell me that song doesn't fit right in with this topic?
Ah....I hear ya sister...
But, are you aware you can fit an entire tray of ice and 750mL bottle of Bailey's in a Chatterbox Tag-a-Long mug?
Nancy-Rose
You have a great knack for writing, your blog is very entertaining, keep it coming.
Loved your post on "teacher speak." I am a pre-school Instructor, so I get it! One I have to use a lot is:
now that we have our official "winter waether" (I live in Canada) please remember to send your child with appropriate outdoor clothing.
Translation: send snowpants, mittens, boots, hats, DUH, we live in Canada, there will be snow!
I love your blog! I figure you must be a friend of Heidi's to be commenting on Veronicas blog - thats how I found you. Oh no lurking - my name is Wendy and I'm from Australia.
I just loved your entry because I had blaring on the radio just yesterday Hotel California. My kids are also known as kidlets, I also miss life BK (before kids), and how cool are those jammies you found ( no cartoon characters in sight). Yes as you can see I read down the page a bit.
Hope you don't mind me stopping in.
Cheers!
Searched for Mattoon and found your blog!! I haven't thought about the trio in years!! We used to show up early to get a table and not give it up all night. They were THE band to see. So how does someone from Mattoon end up in Canada??
Chris
www.savemattoon.org
Christy,
I was searching the web for anything about WED, and found your site. Next October Brenda and I will celebrate our 10th anniversary. I have an old tape she made from one of the many nights she spent listening to the guys play. Since this is where our dating really began,I am trying to compile a list of all of the songs they played and create a cd with the original artists. Any help would greatly appreciated as my memory is dusty. Also if you have any photos that you could share, that would be great.
Thanks for this small detour down memory lane.....
Von
von.lambert@gmail.com
Post a Comment