Saturday, April 15, 2006

They rolled up the sidewalks, mom!

DS2, age 4 came in to our room about 8:04 a.m. this morning. We have a rule in our house for the "S days" (Saturday and Sunday=sleep). If they venture in to talk to me before 8 a.m., they are facing certain pain. (unless someone is bleeding or throwing up, even then I ask if anything is dripping!) I leave cereal out in bowls on the counter and milk in the fridge in an easy to pour container. DS1, age 7, hooks up the younger one with cereal and puts on the TV. Sleep for us. Yeah!

So, Aaron comes in this morning and eases up on to the bed. He says to me in a stage whisper "Are they done rolling up the sidewalks?" Huh? What was that? "Are they done with the sidewalks?" I think a minute and it hits me. In our town, everything shuts down at 6 p.m. on Sundays. We joke about them "rolling up the sidewalks at 6". Certainly Aaron has been privy to these conversations as we often have them in the car when Toys R Us is closing and we got kicked out. Yesterday was Good Friday. Lots of stuff was closed. The kids kept asking for Block Buster. Nope. Closed. They rolled up the sidewalks, it is Good Friday. I wondered why Aaron wouldn't go outside yesterday. Four year olds are very literal. He thought there were no sidewalks, thus no bike riding or scooters. I was quite amused.

I opened the cupboard this morning to retrieve the peanut butter. This is what I saw. One of my common annoyances about Canada (few, actually) is represented by the label on the peanut butter. All labels are written in French and English. If you manage to get the French writing facing you and you don't read French, just flip the jar around and you'll see the English. Not really too big of a deal, but sometimes it just ticks me off. Low tolerance day? Maybe. The other thing that caught my eye is the advertisement around the top of the Cheese Whiz jar. Now Canadians love that "processed cheese." (it is prooo [long o] up here) Click on the photo to enlarge it and look at the words on the lid. This stuff is not exactly healthy. It is full of salt and other fine preservatives. The words on the lid read, "You know you want it." Brings me right back to my classes that I took about sales. This is right up there with "Your mama wants you to eat Jimmy Johns." (only those from IL will know about that!) Max and Craig love to spread this stuff on "square crackers". (saltines) Yuck, just yuck.

2 comments:

Susan... said...

Christy - I just got your "comment" about my 12 in 12 photos and pages. You asked for an e-mail, but I don't have an address to reach you at. I'll post it on my blog on the 10th - as a big reminder for the 12 in 12 for May - but if you'd REALLY like an e-mail...I'll add you to my list. I just need your email addy!!

bloomdesign@interwrx.com - Happy EASTER!! Susan

Tawnja said...

I have to admit that I like Cheez Whiz on toast too, just not with strawberry jam like my husband, yuck! On our side of the counrty (AB), we don't speak french to often either (I had it shoved down my throat in Jr. High) and I HATE that we have to have everything written with french on it.