Thursday, April 13, 2006

Today's post brought to you by the Letter A (for alcohol)

I was driving the boys to Scouts tonight when I realized that The Beer Store will be closed tomorrow. I dropped them off and thought about how many beers were in the fridge. Only 1. Not good. When the DH gets home from a day trip to Ottawa and figures out we have 1 beer left and The Beer Store is closed tomorrow, well, it won't be a pretty sight. I would be accused of sitting down on the job, slacking off, not getting to item 8 of my job description (get beer). In Ontario, you can only buy beer at The Beer Store. Fortunately, we have one in our neighborhood. When we were house hunting, I told the realtor, "The school is 4 blocks from the house and there's the library and The Beer Store. Yep, we can stay." In the U.S, you can often buy beer at a 7-11 or some such store, even on Good Friday. Not up here. So, here's what I bought. I started to buy a 12, figuring that would limit the amount of drunkenness between now and Saturday when The Beer Store is open again. The clerk says to me, "You can get 28 beers for the price of a 'two-four' (Canadian for a 24 pack)." Well, alrighty then, I can't ignore 4 free beers!

And, on the front page of the Toronto Star today- I see an article called Drinking Outside the Box. It seems that you can now purchase wine in 250 ml containers (the size and shape of a juice box). Now this opens up some great possibilities! You can picnic and not carry a corkscrew. You can sit on the tailgate of your truck on the shore of the lake and drink something more grown up than Boone's Farm. Now, the big question, is this just too convenient? Will my kids reach for this instead of Minute Maid? We've taught them to identify alcohol. I'm sure an independent lesson will be in order. (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1144878610625 if you want to read the article) So, I am off to have my 2nd beer and see what I can watch at 10 o'clock because of course ER is a re-run again. A holiday weekend and a rerun? Maybe they figured I'd be travelling. Nope, I'm drinking a great Canadian beer and settling for Queer Eye for the Straight Guy or Tivo'd Grey's Anatomy that I haven't gotten to. Be well and I hope the Easter Bunny is good to you.

No comments: